The Power of Negative Self-Talk

The Number of Negative words you can think in a minute will shock you. This 1-minute devotion offers biblical answers for overcoming negative thoughts.

Studies show our normal rate of talking is 120 words a minute, but we can think at a rate of 1300 words a minute.(1)

No wonder I sometimes get depressed when I dwell on my problems. Imagine ten minutes of negative self-talk. That’s 13,000 negative, sad, angry, and discouraging words pumped into my soul.

2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 

When we begin to think negative thoughts, we must spring into action…demolishing and taking thoughts captive. 

What a great picture of warfare—a reminder that most battles are won or lost in our minds.

What are some practical ways to fight these enemy thoughts?

1. Memorize Bible verses related to our struggles
See A Practical Method for Overcoming Sin.

2. Interrupt negative thoughts by counting our blessings.
See Do you have a Happiness Diary? 

3. Replace negative thoughts by praising God for His love. 
 See Praise and Nothing Else.

So next time the battle begins, let’s fight!
-----------------------
https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

(1)Tim Hansel, Holy Sweat (Waco, TX: Word, 1987), 102-3 as quoted in Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver, page116.


Bible Love Notes

The Number of Negative words you can think in a minute will shock you. This 1-minute devotion offers biblical answers for overcoming negative thoughts.

The Number of Negative words you can think in a minute will shock you. This 1-minute devotion offers biblical answers for overcoming negative thoughts.

The Number of Negative words you can think in a minute will shock you. This 1-minute devotion offers biblical answers for overcoming negative thoughts.


9 comments:

  1. Hello Gail

    Visiting from the GMG link up. Thank you for a post that speaks to my heart. Who doesn't do that internal battle? You have such great tips and advice.. and you are so right.. if we don't fight it we will end up in a pit of despair.

    So nice to meet you.. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Forgot to mention... have you ever read Joyce Meyer's "Battlefield of the Mind"? Great read. Also, I love to cook and bake so I'll be checking out your food-themed devotions too :-}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by, Lisa Maria. I haven't read Battlefield for the Mind, but thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reminder! Those negative thoughts can really ruin a day! (And lives!!!)

    I am visiting from the Domestically Divine Link up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post Gail... it's so true - life and death are in the power of the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good reminder, Gail!! A very captivating graphic picture (I found this on Pinterest, just so you know)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This was from a long time ago but how still relevant for me today! I really needed this. I have an issue with this. God showed me in July how depraved my thought were. I thought I was going to rip my brain out! UGH! But then he gave me peace and reminded me of Philippians 4:8 but now what I see is we all have to be deliberate. It really is spiritual warfare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this was helpful, Tanya. It's been really important in my life to be deliberate about taking my thoughts captive too.
      God bless you,
      Gail

      Delete